- 100 clams Littlenecks – cleaned, washed, and soaked in a brine solution for 2 to 3 hrs
- 1 head jumbo garlic minced small
- 1 ½ lbs onion diced small
- 15 small tomatoes or 12 large fresh red tomatoes “concasse" i.e. cored, scored, blanched, shocked, peeled, seeded, then medium diced
- 3 quarts clam juice bottled or canned
- olive oil extra virgin, as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Limes sliced thin for garnish
- 1 bunch parsley chopped fine for garnish
- Be sure to soak clams in brine ahead of time. Then, heat a large round sauté pan with high sides (a rondeau), to a medium high temperature, add olive oil to coat the bottom.
- When that gets good and hot add your diced onions, sauté quickly, then add minced garlic, stirring all the time.
- After the onions have turned translucent add your tomatoes and sauté for two to three minutes.
- Add the clam juice and raise the heat to a boil. When you get to a boil add the whole clams.
- Use tongs to remove the clams as they open and put them in a container. After all the clams have opened, return them to the cooking pan, salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- To serve place 10 clams in a large heated bowl, ladle broth and veggies over the clams. Garnish with a twisted lime slice and the chopped parsley.
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 1166mg | Potassium: 799mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 2031IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!