- ½ cup natural rice vinegar
- ½ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbl shallots finely chopped
- 3 Tbl lime juice fresh, strained
- 1 Tbl jalapeno pepper fresh, seeded, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro fresh, finely chopped
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients and refrigerate at least 30 minutes for flavors to marry and develop. Can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. ½
This recipe makes about 1.5 cups of sauce, enough for 4-6 dozen oysters or mussels. It is an adaptation of the wonderful sauce that the boys at Hog Island Oyster Company on Tomales Bay in Northern California use to top both raw and barbecued oysters. It uses both natural and seasoned rice vinegars. The latter is fairly sweet so using the natural cuts back on the sweetness. Use the Hogwash the same day it’s made. If making ahead, mix all dry ingredients and store refrigerated in an airtight container. Add lime juice and vinegar, and blend just before serving. from The 2002 Monterey Bay Aquarium Cooking for Solutions Recipe book. Photo credit: Hog Island Oyster Co.
Serving: 3tsp | Calories: 3kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 8mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 18IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!