- 48 clams such as Florida farm-raised hard clams, rinsed well
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1 lb. Andouille smoked sausage sliced in coins
- 3 cups plum tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups stock or dry white wine
- 3 tbsp fresh herbs basil, oregano and marjoram, chopped
- 2 tbsp scallions or chives sliced
- Heat pan a large enough to hold clams without crowding over medium high heat.
- Add oil and garlic and cook garlic until soft, do not burn.
- Add clams, sausage, tomatoes, stock or wine, and herbs. Cover and cook until clams open.
- Divide between four bowls and top with scallions or chives. Serve with crusty bread for an appetizer, or over pasta or rice for a main dish, and enjoy!
This recipe by Chef Peter Stefani of The Island Room Restaurant at Cedar Cove in Cedar Key, Fla., features Florida farm-raised hard clams in a tasty infusion of Italian and Southern cuisine. This dish can be served over pasta or rice for a main course, or as an appetizer, but always include a large piece of crusty bread to soak up the delicious juices. Chef Stefani prepared this recipe for the Romancing the Clam live cooking event in 2009 in Savannah, Ga.
Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 947mg | Potassium: 694mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1506IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!